September 30, 2013
New age applications
A recent peek into the queries programmers have started posting on stackoverflow reveals a new development trend that will probably be followed for the next couple of years.
- The backend is reduced to storage and retrieval of data in the format expected by the frontend.
- The backend can therefore range from simple JSON file storages to complex parallel processing implementations using SCALA – AKKA combination.
- Creating a robust backend that produces data in the format required (JSON) can also make development of mobile apps (native or HTML5 based) a simpler job.
- Develop one robust backend and let the mobile and web apps consume the data to be displayed to the end user.
- The more decoupled the framework the easier will be it’s selection.
- For programmers therefore – updating skills and adding more feathers to your caps is mandatory.
- Question that arises – will single page applications be the next trend ?
- Will backend framework Views have lesser role to play ?
- Will the backend frameworks tilt more towards server load balancing, resource management, memory management, cache management?
- Our recent research therefore proposes that the Scala , Akka combination – or to be more precise Functional programming may become the need of the hour for the next couple of years.